Page d'accueil Cru Barréjats

Before 1750, the Ciron river flowed into the Garonne at the port of Cérons, that is four kilometres north of its current location near Barsac.

In the XVII century travellers on the Bordeaux-Toulouse road would often complain about the bridge over the Ciron, around the Moulin des Chartreux in the town of Barsac, which was often flooded over, along with the great road. Worse, the mills on the Ciron were almost always flooded, unable to make flour and feed the city of Bordeaux.

In 1700, an engineer named Ferry proposed a cut below the Moulin des Chartreux in order to divert the Ciron river through a 50-toise long canal into the Garonne. This project was taken over on the 28th of September 1712 by Fossier de Canteloup, who presented an estimate of 5900 pounds for a “cut to be made to make the Ciron river flow into the Garonne”.

At first, this canal “110 toises long and 15 feet wide on the bottom, and 30 feet wide at the top, and 15 feet deep” (200 meteres long), could not be made because of the interference from some of the Barsac townspeople, and by some expropriated land owners. The affair was brought to the King’s council, and a royal order decided that the work would be completed in spite of opposition. The canal was completed in 1750.

This is why the Ciron has since flowed between Preignac and Barsac, and no longer reaches Cérons!

Note: 1 toise is an old french unit of length, more or less equal to 2 metres or 6 French feet